Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lady Goes to the Dentist

This blog has moved. You can now find this post at http://www.aladyinlondon.com/2009/11/lady-goes-to-dentist.html. Otherwise you will be redirected to the new homepage in 5 seconds.

5 comments:

Emily said...

£316????!!!! no way. no wonder people avoid the dentist there.. i think dr. tseng is worth traveling around the world for... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady,

I lived in London for a year a couple of years ago and now I'm returning in January. I also went to the dentist but I didn't get a cleaning; they just looked at my teeth. There was a clear lack of regard for how my gums would feel if they were jabbed and poked while getting my check up. The man didn't speak much English and I don't think he wore one of those germ mask things. A highly unpleasant experience, I agree.

An American in London said...

£316 is definitely not the norm in the UK. I can recommend B Dental on Upper Street, as well as Waterside Dental near Canary Wharf. Both strike me as comparable to - if not better than - my dentists back in the U.S. And both cost about £120 a visit and will insist on your coming by twice a year.

http://www.bdental.co.uk/
http://www.canarywharfdentists.com/

That said, there must be a "nice" dentist closer to wherever you live and work . . . .

rodgers25 said...

Eeeesh. My fiance and I are moving to London, and we have to decide whether to go in for the (very expensive) private dental insurance his company offers. Even before any possible co-pays, the insurance itself will cost around 600 pounds per year for both of us. Sigh.

American Girl In the City said...

Oh lord, that is awful! I've been going to Dentistry 100 (www.dentistry100.co.uk), which is next to the Barbican, for almost 5 years. The hygienist is the best I have ever had - including really expensive ones in the US. She's GBP75 and is really a great lady. I love chatting with her. The dentists are great there too. The first trip to see the dentist is free, so at least you can check it out without having to commit.