I applied for Tier 1 from the USA and got it in October to return (I had a work permit for a year but then came to the USA again to go to grad school). I went through all the changes too--requiring a MA, for example; at least I was going to school before the changes. Proving earnings for the year I was in the UK and writing to my employers from the USA; as I was a student I (thankfully) didn't have to count my meager wages I earn as a grad student in the USA. Proving I had 2800 pounds in a bank account for 3 months (an out-of-country requirement) but the dollar kept dropping so I sent it to my UK bank which re-started the 3 month proof of funds again. It goes on and on, so I can definitely emphasize with you! At least I finished grad school around the same time I got my proof of funds waiting time finished and I had all my letters and official bank statements proving my income (I just asked the bank to send me new offical paper statements instead of the stamp thingy). I also have 3 years back in wonderful London starting in January!
Since we're moving over with my partner's company, their lawyers are handling the visa applications, but all of the documentation they ask for is nerve-wracking. Like you, my bank will only issue online statments, which is unacceptable. Come on Citibanks of NYC--find your stamps!
My advice to anyone who wants to move abroad is to keep. absolutley. everything. Bank statements, credit card bills, electricity bills (and if you live with someone--make sure your name is on it too!), etc. Proving you are who you say you are to the Home Office requires a massive paper trial...
The sad thing is that they're considering changing the Indefinite Leave Rules, with no grandfathering. (Much like how when I moved here from the States in 2004, it was 4 years for IDLR and then it went to five years.) Rumor has it they're going to EIGHT years, and you have to do public service to get it. (Not a big deal for most, but you know.)
Anyhow, this is not my point. My point is that I totally dig your blog! Found it as I was researching my upcoming trip to Jordan and Syria. Love it! Let me know if you have any restaurant recs for Amman or Damascus.
4 comments:
I applied for Tier 1 from the USA and got it in October to return (I had a work permit for a year but then came to the USA again to go to grad school). I went through all the changes too--requiring a MA, for example; at least I was going to school before the changes. Proving earnings for the year I was in the UK and writing to my employers from the USA; as I was a student I (thankfully) didn't have to count my meager wages I earn as a grad student in the USA. Proving I had 2800 pounds in a bank account for 3 months (an out-of-country requirement) but the dollar kept dropping so I sent it to my UK bank which re-started the 3 month proof of funds again. It goes on and on, so I can definitely emphasize with you! At least I finished grad school around the same time I got my proof of funds waiting time finished and I had all my letters and official bank statements proving my income (I just asked the bank to send me new offical paper statements instead of the stamp thingy). I also have 3 years back in wonderful London starting in January!
Ann
It is a nightmere, isn't it?
Since we're moving over with my partner's company, their lawyers are handling the visa applications, but all of the documentation they ask for is nerve-wracking. Like you, my bank will only issue online statments, which is unacceptable. Come on Citibanks of NYC--find your stamps!
My advice to anyone who wants to move abroad is to keep. absolutley. everything. Bank statements, credit card bills, electricity bills (and if you live with someone--make sure your name is on it too!), etc. Proving you are who you say you are to the Home Office requires a massive paper trial...
The sad thing is that they're considering changing the Indefinite Leave Rules, with no grandfathering. (Much like how when I moved here from the States in 2004, it was 4 years for IDLR and then it went to five years.) Rumor has it they're going to EIGHT years, and you have to do public service to get it. (Not a big deal for most, but you know.)
Anyhow, this is not my point. My point is that I totally dig your blog! Found it as I was researching my upcoming trip to Jordan and Syria. Love it! Let me know if you have any restaurant recs for Amman or Damascus.
Thanks Krista! For your trip, I highly recommend Naranj restaurant in Old Damascus and Shawarma Reem in Amman.
Post a Comment