glad that situation turned out well for you but those women were talking a load of shit.
Violent crime in Dakar happens of course but not very often. The most that would happen to you is what did, a bad deal would be cut against you because you are a foreigner.
When I was there and staying with a host family, there was a young girl, 20 from the US staying at the house as well, who would go out all the time alone. She was studying there and the most that ever happened to her was she was almost mugged one time. Something that could/would happen in London quite easily.
If you were in Southern Senegal (Casamance region) then I would have been potentially worried about your safety as they still have occasional rebel uprisings from time to time. The civil war has been officially over since 97 I think, last time of conflict was around 05. However, from time to time the left over rebels from that time come out for supplies and high jack a car and will usually target foreigners. That actually happened when I was in Senegal days before we were meant to drive to that region so needless to say I was worried. We went and it was fine. There was military presence there as well as they are trying to stamp out any such uprising from occuring again.
I remember feeling anxious about safety because foreign country etc etc. Our work kinda put that in us so we would exercise caution as they were liable for our lives so that is understandable. We were there on a youth exchange for 6 weeks through work so I get the scare tactics they used. However as I was there, read the news, and got more informed, I realized Senegal overall is quite safe.
Again, glad you and your bf were ok. You handled that situation well. Hope things go well in your next destination. Oh and I like how you've detailed the places you've been..I hope you don't mind I'm gonna put that on my blog too...will be my motivation to get out and travel more!
Came across your blog while researching Dakar (and Bamako). I actually land in Dakar tomorrow evening. Hoping you have a moment to share some advice/recommendations - beyond your postings - for 3 days in Dakar (I head over to Bamako for 2 weeks after Dakar). If you have a moment while enjoying your own travels, would it be OK to email you? I land in Dakar tomorrow evening. I can post my email address but I request you not publish. Please let me know what works. Many thanks. +S
4 comments:
Great pictures, and great story. Glad that you managed to get back to the hotel. And that reminds me of my childhood !!
Harrowing...to say the very least. My friends had a scarily-similar experience last month in South Africa.
Hey Lady,
glad that situation turned out well for you but those women were talking a load of shit.
Violent crime in Dakar happens of course but not very often. The most that would happen to you is what did, a bad deal would be cut against you because you are a foreigner.
When I was there and staying with a host family, there was a young girl, 20 from the US staying at the house as well, who would go out all the time alone. She was studying there and the most that ever happened to her was she was almost mugged one time. Something that could/would happen in London quite easily.
If you were in Southern Senegal (Casamance region) then I would have been potentially worried about your safety as they still have occasional rebel uprisings from time to time. The civil war has been officially over since 97 I think, last time of conflict was around 05. However, from time to time the left over rebels from that time come out for supplies and high jack a car and will usually target foreigners. That actually happened when I was in Senegal days before we were meant to drive to that region so needless to say I was worried. We went and it was fine. There was military presence there as well as they are trying to stamp out any such uprising from occuring again.
I remember feeling anxious about safety because foreign country etc etc. Our work kinda put that in us so we would exercise caution as they were liable for our lives so that is understandable. We were there on a youth exchange for 6 weeks through work so I get the scare tactics they used. However as I was there, read the news, and got more informed, I realized Senegal overall is quite safe.
Again, glad you and your bf were ok. You handled that situation well. Hope things go well in your next destination. Oh and I like how you've detailed the places you've been..I hope you don't mind I'm gonna put that on my blog too...will be my motivation to get out and travel more!
Came across your blog while researching Dakar (and Bamako). I actually land in Dakar tomorrow evening. Hoping you have a moment to share some advice/recommendations - beyond your postings - for 3 days in Dakar (I head over to Bamako for 2 weeks after Dakar). If you have a moment while enjoying your own travels, would it be OK to email you? I land in Dakar tomorrow evening. I can post my email address but I request you not publish. Please let me know what works. Many thanks. +S
Post a Comment